Thursday, April 7, 2011

drunk guy

Went to dinner last night with Jeanne, a reiki practitioner. We went to the Thai place on Sabattus Street, The Jar Earn. I had a gift certificate from my students.

When we walked in, a nice lady behind the counter seemed surprised. "You're here for dinner? To eat here?" She wore a pale pink linen blouse and black slacks. She was attentive. We were the only customers. Jeanne ordered spicy chicken pad thai, me: tofu mango fried rice.

The food came in hot mounds on white platters. We ate quietly, chatting about reiki. A drunk guy came into the restaurant, shouting, "I LOVE YOU!"

The woman behind the counter said, "You have to leave."

"BUT I LOVE YOU!" He leaned over the counter.

"But you have to leave. You know the owner doesn't want you in here."

He was wearing dirty jeans and a jacket. I could smell the alcohol. He started to get agitated and I pulled out my cell phone.

"SO YOU AREN'T GOING TO GIVE ME ANY FREE FOOD? BUT I HAVE MONEY! IF I BUY SOMETHING, CAN I STAY? I HAVE MONEY. DO YOU THINK I DON'T HAVE ANY MONEY? I HAVE MONEY."

"But you have to leave," she repeated.

He came over to our table. "ARE YOU DECENT PEOPLE?" he asked.

Jeanne and I stopped eating and stared at the table.

The drunk guy left the restaurant shouting, "I LOVE YOU!"

I watched him out the window. He lurched through traffic into the bar across the street, The Blue Goose.