Thursday, March 24, 2011

Meditation for Japan

Sadhana Meditation Center emailed me about a meditation for Japan, today at 11 am.

I'm on vacation, want to expand my horizons, and want to meditate more; so decided to go.

I was thinking it was 1/2 hour away, but once I got on the road I realized it's more like 35-45. I started to speed. Speeding to meditate: ironic.

I thought, I'm being so yang. Full of energy and purpose.

I pictured a big room full of people sitting on pillows, meditating intently. Or maybe they sat in pews? Would there be a talk first? A slideshow? Or would we meditate for a full hour? I pictured them closing &  locking the doors at 11. "Sorry, you're late! No admittance. Can't go in there. You'll disturb the serious meditators who arrived on time." I went a little faster.

Got there at 11:05. Place was dark, no one around.

Oh no! Wrong day? Wrong place, wrong time? I wandered down the hall and recognized two women from the Center.

"Right day," they told me. "Right time and place. You're the only one who showed up. Go ahead, turn on the lights, go in. Meditate. There's a yoga class at 12, you can do that too."

I went into the big bare room, spread out a yoga mat and a cushion. Got comfortable. Meditated. Thought, now I'm yin: potential energy. Thought, I came here to meditate with other people. To join and uplift our energy, to connect with like-minded people, yet I"m here alone. Ironic.

I let my thoughts drift. I focused on my posture and my breath.

45 minutes later the yoga teacher came in with two other women. We did yoga for an hour. Yang. We sent love energy to Japan: the land and the people. We reposed in corpse pose: yin.

Then I drove to the Old Port section of Portland. I went to the fancy hotel where my son Micah cooks. He grilled salmon for me, and placed it on a bed of spinach, mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes. The salmon was crispy outside, like melted butter inside. This isn't on the menu, but he knows I like it so he makes it for me every time. There was a rim of zinfandel sauce dripping lazily down the plate.

Dessert was chocolate torte, covered with chocolate cream, garnished with a sliced strawberry, whipped cream, and a generous drizzle of chocolate sauce. The texture was rough and chunky, the flavor rich.

Afterwards we went to Whole Foods and bought coconut water, brazil nuts, grapefruit, cabbage, and sunflower seeds.We went to the library, to see the renovations. I admired the sculptures, huge windows, slate floor, and light fixtures like twisted origami. Took Micah home. Good day.

Please send love energy to Japan: the land, the people, the plants and animals. Thank you.