Tuesday, March 15, 2011

bingo wings

Taught my students a new anatomical landmark today: bingo wings.

They'd never heard the term, and looked confused when I brought it up. We were talking about insulin injections. Most people with diabetes, who self-inject insulin, use sites on their thighs and abdomen. Scar tissue builds up at those sites, altering the absorption of the medication. When these people come to the hospital, and we inject insulin for them, we give those usual sites a rest. We inject in spots difficult for people to reach themselves: the upper outer arm, the fleshy part that droops a bit in older people (like me). Bingo wings.

Think I'll stop writing now and do some yoga. I'm thinking some asanas that will work my upper arms...inchworm: downward dog to upward dog and back, plank...