Thursday, August 9, 2012

Old Orchard Beach

Vacationing at the beach.

We had perfect beach days: hot and sunny with 3 foot waves. We jumped and twirled in the waves, Amelia and I. We made up a song and sang it over and over, with synchronized dance moves and salty somersaults. We scoffed at the smaller waves and screamed "pineapple" at the larger ones.

Why "pineapple?" you ask.
 "You shouldn't scream 'Help!' unless you really mean it," I told Amelia. So we screamed "pineapple!" and "avocado!"

Amelia and I went shopping. I bought her a High School Musical boogie board and a supercute top. She bought herself some feather earrings. She had her ears pierced last year, on her 8th birthday. She wanted a slushy for breakfast. "Maybe tomorrow," I said.

There are lots of Eastern Europeans working in the shops. I recognize the accent from staff at my teen camp.   They come here to work because the exchange rate is good. They work hard and are able to work longer into the summer season, as their universities start later in September.

The young lady at the boogie board shop told us she was from Bulgaria. "Do you go to college?" I asked.

"University, yes. I study International Marketing."