Tuesday, May 21, 2013

garden

Would rather be in the garden.

Came home from a long day at work. It was cool and drizzy outside. I took off my work shoes. Took off my socks, and rolled up my work slacks. I went out into the green wet. The beans are sprouting. Peas are several inches tall. Spinach is up, and maybe carrots.

I planted zucchini and cukes in an iffy garden spot. It's the pallet garden I made last year. The dirt is too shallow, and dries out or floods. But I covered the dirt with 6 inches of bark mulch. Planted in the bark mulch. $3 of seeds, we'll see what happens.

Slugs are the other problem, of course. They love blossoms. Zucchini, pumpkin, cucumber, and summer squash blossoms. The critters wrap themselves around the base of the blossom and suck it dry. Last several years I've had champion vines, huge yellow blossoms, no vegies. This year I'm trying eggshells around the plants. We'll see...