Wednesday, August 14, 2013

vacation

I can't remember when I last... ok, I've never done this.

Taking a vacation. Later this year. Just me. On vacation.

No family obligations, not a conference, no work.

Sun, sand, ocean.

All I do is work. I work 60+ hours a week and have for years (decades). I work full time and extra jobs too. I send money to my sons and I save. I travel for work and for family events like weddings, funerals, and major birthdays. But I never take time off. Even when I travel, I bring my laptop to check work emails and teach online courses. My best friends keep telling me to take a vacation. They say I could get burnt out on work. How can I? I love my jobs! But they are compelling, and I sometimes feel irritable, so.... here goes. I'll give it a try. Vacation: I'm smiling.