Sunday, August 18, 2013

roles

As a teacher, I want to hear my students' voices.

I see my role as this. Establish expectations and provide resources. Evaluate progress and offer suggestions. I don't have all the answers, and I can't tell you everything you need to know. Your journey to knowledge & wisdom: that's up to you.

I see the your role as this: put in the expected hours. Read, reflect, write. Engage. Experience. Try the offered opportunities.

When you write a paper, write your thoughts in your own voice.

When you write a paper, read the materials, then explain it to your dog. Or cat. Or plant, a baby. Then explain it to a spouse or friend, someone who will ask questions. Answer the questions. Write your paper. Read it out loud to see if it makes sense.

Submit your posts and papers. I love to read your thoughts. Love to see how creative you can be, expressing your thoughts.

If it's all recycled, copied & pasted, slapped together....well that's just sad. It's a cardboard shack instead of a finely crafted gem.

If you don't put in the time, and you're disappointed with the grades you earn, well... is that my responsibility or yours?

So.... commit, work; express yourself. I want to know what you think. Your thoughts are brilliant, unique, golden.

What scares you the most? What are the barriers to expressing yourself? Grammar? Vocabulary? Concepts? Format? There is help for all of those things. Seek help. If you want to be a student, and if you want to excel, then you have to put in the effort. Do the work. It's up to you.

I'm here for you. I can guide you to the resources you need. Just ask. I'll listen and help. And when you express your own brilliant thoughts, I will be your most enthusiastic supporter. "A" for the day.