Saturday, June 9, 2012

cedar trees

don't like wet roots. That's what the guy at Provencher Landscaping told me.

Two years ago I moved five cedar trees. They were in front of my house, and had overgrown their space. So I dug them up and moved them to the backyard, along the fence. They looked great there, at first. Slowly they started to turn brown and die. Too wet, the guy said.

So I got some sand (thanks for lugging those heavy bags, A) and bark mulch. I dug up each tree today. It was a mucky job. There was a sucking swamp sound when I pulled out each tree, and a small pond at the bottom of each hole. I dumped sand and bark mulch into the holes: 100 pounds of sand and 4 cubic feet of mulch, and replaced the trees. I packed bark mulch around the roots, now much higher, almost sitting on top of the ground.

I hope they'll be happier: grow and thrive. I gave them some Reiki after the big move.