Monday, February 29, 2016

Leap Day

Take a leap. So I did. I did something kind of scary.

I climbed a mountain. Got there early, just one other car in the parking lot. We've been having warm days, and I wanted to hike on frozen ground, not mud.

I took the short steep path up and the long gradual one out. It was the long one that was scary. I hadn't seen another person at all. As I walked I scared myself, thinking of attackers, rattlesnakes, and bears. Of course, we don't have rattlesnakes in Maine, so that was a slimmer possibility.

Like I said, it was the easy path and eventually I met moms and toddlers coming up. Toddlers? I guess I'm not the athlete I like to imagine I am. Then an elderly couple, with matching walking sticks and a chemical aroma of dryer sheets. They didn't attack me with their sticks.

I did see two woodpeckers. No bears.