Monday, January 12, 2015

Winter dreams of summer gardens

Just finished the last of the garden raspberries. At the height of the season I picked 4 sandwich bags per day; tossed them into the freezer.

I ate all I wanted, gave lots away, and still had a full freezer at the end of summer. They were good on oatmeal and as fruit smoothies. The berries in the freezer were worth hundreds of dollars. I know because I just purchased a bag of frozen berries from the grocery store. Ten dollars for a 3 pound bag.

I wish the artichoke had produced. I love artichokes. My son and daughter-in-law gave me a seedling for Mother's Day. It thrived, but did not produce. Artichokes are $3 each at the grocery store. Wouldn't it be great to be able to pick from the back garden, organic, and steam a freshly picked artichoke?