Tuesday, January 20, 2015

getting warmer

Alternate explanation for that whole couldn't get warm episode: fever.

I'm on day 5 of fever, chills, and pain. Of course my sinuses wanted in on the action. And there's an inflammatory process in my chest too, the details of which you don't want to know.

When the fever comes the shivers wrap around me like manacles on a trapped super-hero. Everything hurts, hurts more if one body part touches another. I turn the heat up to 80, wrap myself in layers of fleece and wool, and shiver under an electric blanket cranked to high.

I slept 15 hours one night; 13 another. I spend a lot of time looking at the ceiling and listening to public radio. I sip water. Make tea. Living alone means being sick alone, too.

My baseline temp is 97. When the fever comes I go over 100: shivering and icy fingered. Then my face and lips start to burn and I know it's burning out.

Pink sunrise on Day 5.