Saturday, January 9, 2016

where's the heat?

My friend and coworker M found a restaurant online and we went. Little hole in the wall place: a brand new sparkling clean kitchen with 5 bar stools, attached to a convenience store, gas pumps outside. So, a gas station, convenience store with Asian food. Interesting. Three of us got take-out and headed back to work.

It was good; my palate was amazed with an abundance of interesting flavors. Heat, citrus, flavors I couldn't identify, greens I didn't recognize. Every bite was a marvel; it was good to the end. I told people it was the best food in town. 

I've been back a few times; it's right on my way home. Subsequent meals have disappointed. My memory of our first meal has not been reinforced. Where is the garlic, lemon, lime, cilantro, and heat? Where are the peanuts? It's bland. I brought a meal home last night and added my own vegies, spices, and condiments. 

The kitchen last night was grimy, grills rimmed with charred chunks, the cooks' trousers filthy with brown grease. No longer appetizing and exciting. I need a new place.