Saturday, July 7, 2012

kayak

Last week I decided to see if my old kayak would fit into my van. I went out back of the shed, picking my way carefully through the bushes and plants, watching for poison ivy. Didn't see any.

I loaded up the kayak on my shoulder and carried it a short distance. I felt strong. Then I thought I would drag it the rest of the way to the car, so I set it on the ground. I bent over to grasp the handle and

eeek. Mice. At least three mice. They were running around the bottom of the kayak. "I just had that on my shoulder," I thought. Have I mentioned that I have rodentphobia? I do. Nightmares about them running around and nibbling on me.

I watched them, trying to desensitize myself. "Cute," I told myself. "Many people say they're cute." Yeah, that lasted about 3 seconds. I backed away slowly, then turned and ran, silently shrieking .