Thursday, March 26, 2020

COVID-19 Daily Routine

I am grateful to have a job, grateful to be able to work from home. I have so much respect and compassion for my former students, who are immersed in caring for people who are ill in the midst of this pandemic. I am isolating, distancing, and trying to stay as healthy as possible.

I know of one person who likely has COVID-19; a nurse, ill with a flu-like illness, with a sudden loss of her sense of smell. She was not tested, as test kits are rationed and she is not in a "high-risk" group. She is a nurse, so I trust her self-diagnosis.

I hear from former students, bedside nurses, that they are angry and frightened. Their primary fear is bringing the virus home to their families. Their primary anger is at people who continue to gather, to recklessly engage in social contact. So far, they tell me, their supplies of personal protective equipment are adequate.

My new daily routine centers around work and walks. My old pattern was to go to my office and work seven days a week. I did this for the past two years: every day. I worked at my regular job and I worked on classes. In the past two years I helped to develop an RN-BSN program, earned a certificate in online teaching, and completed 10 courses towards an advanced degree. Now I am locked out of my office. I work from home. I walk in nature preserves and state parks. I shop at farmer's markets, and haven't been to the grocery store for two weeks. I work, walk, and work. I'm not saying that I'm bored, but I swept my garage. I cleaned my shower stall with a toothbrush; not the whole thing, the small cracks and corners. It snowed this week, a big dump of six inches or so. Spring sun melted most of it. I found a crocus yesterday, the first one. Seasons change.