Thursday, January 24, 2013

wind like a train

It's been cold. It's winter, it's Maine, we don't have a lot of snow, but it's cold. SubZero temps and windy, so it feels like 20 or 30 below or something.

I remember skiing down a mountain in Washington with a wind chill of 80 below. That was too cold. I took just one run. Sat by the fire in the lodge the rest of the day.

So it's cold. Can't believe how much home heating oil I burned last week. A lot.  Here's a math problem for you. The tank holds 275 gallons and I burned 1/8 tank, at what, $3.50/gallon. How much is that?

I worked from 6 am til 7 pm today. I walked to work from the parking lot; it was dark and cold. I clutched my cup of hot coffee and walked purposefully, head down, scapulae scrunched. Walked back to my car at 1 pm and it was windy - my sinuses ached, I thought, "oh my goodness!" and scurried as fast as I could.

I taught a class tonight on the fifth floor, top floor: there were sunlights. The wind blasting across the sunlights sounded like rain or pellets. I left the class at 7 pm. The wind was abrasive. "It's so windy," I thought. "The wind sounds like a train." Then I saw the train. Yeah, a real one, going across the tracks."Oh, it sounds like a train because it is a train."

But it was windy. Really windy. And cold. Expecting several more days of this arctic cold. I put my car in the garage and hope it will start in the morning. I'm afraid if I leave it in the driveway it won't; the wind will suck the life out of it.

No need to lock your car right now, no robbers are about. Too cold

Too cold for anything but stay inside, stay warm, read books.