Sunday, April 26, 2020

Walking during a Pandemic

Because we are practicing physical distancing I have been working from home for six weeks. I go to the grocery store about every two weeks, and to an outdoor farmer's market nearly every Saturday.

The farmer's market is in a park on a tidal river waterfront. It is pleasant to walk through the park, sit on a park bench in the spring sun, and look at the water. We all wear cloth face coverings or masks. Vendors are spread about 20 feet apart and most have installed Plexiglas shield protectors. We wait in line at least six feet apart and pay with cards or place cash into a bucket. Cash sits for two weeks, the vendors tell us, before they recycle it as change.

I walk nearly every morning, between 5 and 7 am. This morning I walked at 5:30. There was mist on the pond, the sun rose in a lemon sky, and there were ducks. Last week I saw a Great Blue Heron on the pond. It heard me before I saw it, and leapt into the air, flapping its wide wings.