Thursday, July 16, 2015

same phone

Well I didn't get that new phone. Got off the Edge, back back back to safety. Still have my laughable-to-some ancient 4-year-old phone. It works just fine. The problem was a simple billing glitch. Fixed with a phone call, bonus $10 credit for my trouble.

Back home, back to work. No carbon monoxide alarms, no kayak, no lake, no loons. Plenty of students to engage, papers to grade, and miles to go.

Monday I taught Reiki at the University, all day. We did attunements beside a froggy pond. Turtles too. Monday evening was a four-hour compassion inservice. We had Italian sandwiches and sweet gooey pumpkin roll. We did empathy role-playing: how to encourage dialogue and be comfortable with difficult topics.

Tuesday the contractor didn't come to measure windows. I need new windows. The windows are falling apart, painted shut but paradoxically drafty. I spread 6 bales of hay around the garden in the morning and went into the office at noon. Worked til supper: salad from the garden. Sat outside and read in the evening.

Yesterday and today I started work at 5:30 am, worked 12 hours with students at the hospital. We administered medications: intravenous fluids and narcotics, antiemetics, antibiotics, laxatives, and vitamins. After work yesterday I went to a planning meeting for an annual fundraiser. We met on a patio outside a big house on the lake. There was pizza, beer, salad, and eclairs. There were reports on progress. Chilly lake breezes after a warm day.

Today I sat in the garden after work, graded papers as the sun set. I picked raspberries, admired flowers, drew flowers on the students' papers, and watched the sky as pink and orange streaks developed and faded.

Tomorrow is a day of meetings, interviews, and curriculum planning. I hope to have time to work on student evaluations, grade Reiki posts for my online class, and analyze my Reiki research.

I miss the loons, lake, kayak, and laziness.