Sunday, September 27, 2015

therapeutic presence v ego

So this whole thing about just plain Reiki and Reiki with other modalities. I love other modalities. I love sound, stones, messages, massage, incense, and laughter. When my Reiki friends and I get together we joyfully, creatively, and intuitively combine therapies. But we know what is Reiki and what is other stuff. We know the difference. We love and respect Reiki, but we like to play with sound and stones, etc.

But when I introduce someone to Reiki, when I share Reiki with a person with cancer, when I teach students, and when I practice at medical institutions, it's just plain Reiki. Just plain Reiki is just plain amazing. It is enough. It's marvelous: relaxing, restful, and rejuvenating.

Why? Because I don't want to confuse people. If I'm teaching or introducing a person to Reiki, then it's just Reiki and get my ego out of the way. I want the person to experience Reiki; the experience belongs to the person. It shouldn't be about me. It's about the person, what the person feels and knows. My experience is irrelevant. I'm the supporting actor, or the silent woman in the crowd, and the person on the table is the star.

That's why. If I'm to be a therapeutic presence, then I must keep my ego out of it. Keep it plain and simple. Let the person feel and be in Reiki.