Thursday, July 2, 2015

Reiki and a warning

At camp, out to camp, upta camp.

I'm staying in a cottage on a small lake in Maine. Yesterday was rainy.

So I got up early and set off to do laundry. Check. Went to a Sprint store to see why my mobile hot spot device, an Android phone, was not working. I'd tried everything I could think of to get it to work. Nothing. So the store. In a mostly deserted mall. A family came in while I was there. Large, loud, inquisitive people with big sweatshirts bearing nationalistic gun and flag graphics. They bought phones. We were all there a long time. The clerks tried everything I'd tried and more. No success. Perhaps it's maintenance on the towers the clerk told me. Perhaps.

The clerks laughed a little at my 4-year-old phone. So I asked them to sell me a new one. They did and I'll pick it up on Saturday. Android 6 Edge. I'll be living on the edge, hanging with U2, edgy and new.

I got back to camp late afternoon. Still raining. Chilly. I turned on the gas heater, read, took a nap on the couch, read some more, spun some alpaca fleece, watched TV, did some self-Reiki and meditation. Read. Thought I'd go to bed early. By then it was toasty warm in the camp. Turned off the gas heater and heard a shrieking beep. Noticed a yellow light flashing on a wall-mounted electronic device. Burglar alarm?

Carbon monoxide detector.

Can I just ignore that thing and go to bed? Probably not.

I opened windows, turned on fans, emailed the camp owner, and looked up carbon monoxide FAQs online. The shriek was obnoxious, the online warnings dire. The owner emailed back that it prob just needed a new battery, sleep with a window open, that if it were truly carbon monoxide the beep would be very loud. Well, I could hear it from my car, parked up beside the road, so I guess that's loud enough.

Eventually the beeping stopped and I went back inside. The yellow light had subsided. Safe to sleep. 

3 comments:

  1. Your blog is eating my comments again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nom, nom, nom! That's the sound of your blog eating my comments. User error on my end, not to worry. The carbon monoxide warnings are likely due to the meth lab you're running. Turn down your burners.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fix my computer, please. Your comments are too good to float away in ethernet limbo.

    ReplyDelete