Friday, November 21, 2014

waiting for the furnace man

with just normal annoyance.

I left work at 11:30 to await the furnace repairman. Company told me he'd arrive between 12 and 4. Ah, look! It's 4:07 and he just arrived. Yay!

The point is...I felt just calm annoyance, not panic. Called the company a couple of times this afternoon, to confirm. "Yes, yes," they said, "he's coming."

I purchased this house 4 1/2 years ago. That first year, whenever anything went wrong: blown fuse (circuit?), locked out by electrician, stuck garage door, or too much snow; I panicked. I got all shaky and weepy, thought I couldn't do the homeowner role, called friends and family at odd hours to express discontent and sorrow.

So he's down there now. Pounding on things, dropping metal tools on the cement floor, and going back and forth to his truck outside. He smells like cigarettes. Has wives, kids, and horses; told me when he was here in the summer for a regular cleaning.

I have heat, but I also have an intermittent stream of water across the basement floor. I watched it for a few days, a week, wondering if it would go away on it's own. Wondered if the dude caused it when he did the regular cleaning. Evidently not, according to the company, of course. The stream got heavier, so I called for a fix.

Calm annoyance: that's progress.