Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Gently

I experienced a Reiki session recently.
Some of the practitioner's techniques reminded me of things to tell my students.

* If you, the client, are uncomfortable with the practitioner's techniques or hand placements, speak up.
* The practitioner should not be squeezing you, or suddenly and silently repositioning you during the session.
* The practitioner should tell you where he/she will place his/her hands.
* The practitioner should not lean on you.
* Hands should be gentle, no pressure, not forceful. Reiki is not massage.
* The practitioner should keep his/her eyes open, to assess for hand drift and the client's comfort .
* When changing hand positions, the practitioner should lift his/her hands and gently replace them: shouldn't drag them abruptly or caressingly across the client's body.
* After the session, the practitioner should ask if the session was acceptable, and if there are suggestions for improvement.
* After the session the practitioner should listen to the client. Listen. The practitioner shouldn't overshare his/her own insights or offer unsolicited advice and instructions. The practitioner should listen, support, and validate the client's experience.
* Thank you for reading this far.

During this recent session, I whispered, "Gently" twice, when squeezed. It was an unusual Reiki session, in unusual circumstances. I was a guest in another teacher's class, and didn't want to be rude. Rather than stop the session or instruct the practitioner on better practices, which normally I would do; I found myself engaging my energetic shields, enduring, and mentally making the list above. I would have shared my suggestions for improvements if asked. I learned a lot about myself and Reiki practice, and that's good.