Sunday, March 10, 2013

Kirtan, again

Ok, so I got that it is sound healing from the inside.

Learned that it is exploding all over the world. I guess that's why we get such talented and passionate musicians, here in Maine. Thanks also to a generous benefactor and host.

Learned that it is God on Earth.

Learned that singing these chants, these names, these sacred names- invokes God.

God is in the name. Saying the name is God.

When the music is loud I feel it in my bones. I sit in the back and close my eyes and I forget to be self-conscious. Went wild tonight: swayed AND bobbed my head. At the same time. This is Yankee Girl Gone Wild.

Many of us are yoga teachers and practitioners. We unself-consciously assume asanas as we chant and sing. We sway and bob. Sometimes we stand up. Did I mention that we're Yankees? Mostly we close our eyes and sit still as we chant and sing.

I have jobs. I like that. Tonight I collected coats, encouraged the sign-in sheet and donation bowl, discouraged chai in the living room- might stain the carpet, tidied the kitchen, took photos for the band, and directed the clean-up. Clean-up, you ask? Yes, we put seat cushions into bags and stack in basement, move tables and couches, wipe kitchen, toss garbage, coil cords, put microphones into plastic cases, move speakers, roll a rug, and ok I guess that's it. Well, jiggle the toilet handle. That too.

I like the jobs; I talk to people. Otherwise I'm too shy and lazy.

So, always moving forward. Creating new relationships. Trying new things. Life.