Monday, January 14, 2013

walk

Took myself for a walk yesterday. Realized it was my first walk since Fluff passed 6 weeks ago.

She took just short walks the last year of her life. We used to drive off for explorations, but she mostly stayed in the car. She would get out for short rambles, but not long walks or hikes in the woods.

So I went, just me. It was warm and foggy. I hiked up a small hill. It's a funny hill. Right in the middle of the city, at the edge of a college campus. Only 500 feet up: you can just about run up, but here's the funny thing- it feels quite alpine at the top. It's bald rock with stunted plants and 360 degree views.  It's surrounded by big old pines, woods, forest. It feels far away. I'm usually the only person up there.

Stayed up there awhile. Found rabbit tracks in the snow. Too wet to sit, I wandered around the top. Fog gathered and dripped from pinecones. There was moss and lichen.

I slid down in the slush, didn't want to fall and get all wet. Slid, didn't fall.

Took a long walk around campus. It's so beautiful there: architecture, landscaping, and wide spaces. Lots of people walking dogs. I walked quickly, enjoying my own pace, and hardly cried at all.