Tuesday, January 22, 2013

cold enough to make your teeth shiver

Minus 30 to minus 15 F, that's minus 34.4 to minus 26C. Cold. Makes my teeth hurt, nostrils freeze shut, and fingertips ache. I have to look down to make sure I'm wearing my winter jacket, to see if I'm wearing anything at all. I am. I'm still cold.

No mosquitoes, black flies, or copper beetles. No slugs. Don't have to run the air conditioners. No sunburn. Plenty of room at the beach. Put your towel anywhere.

Better yet, toss another log on the fire and curl up on the couch with a good book. I'm reading Discovery of Witches for the 4th time. Maybe should try another book, I tell myself, as I cycle continually through it and it's sequel. Why switch, I answer. I like being in this world.

So it's cold outside, snowy. Warm and peaceful inside. Winter in Maine.