Friday, November 9, 2012

it happened again...

I'm on  a schedule. At work at 6: mentored students, negotiated with nurse managers, advised, & educated. Went to the office for several more hours of work: emails, syllabi, certificates, and online education servers. Life of a teacher.

But at 10 hours Fluffy needs to go outside.

So I gather my things: important papers, work for home, and personal belongings. I rush for the door. Oh, got to check in with the teacher in the next office. We get talking about student issues, "Sit down!" I sit down, we talk, eek, look at the clock, gotta go.

I think of a quick question for the controller next door. He wants to discuss. He has questions, "Sit down!" I sit down. I jump up to seek answers from the assistant registrar 2 doors down. I go back and forth with answers and more questions. eek, look at the time. He wants to talk about taxes. "Hey, I listened to you talk about Reiki. Now you get to listen to me talk about taxes."

It's just like the dentist. I can't seem to get away. Everyone wants to chat. I'm longing to leave, it's been 40 minutes now. I mention the dentist, how they didn't want me to leave. The controller says, "It's because you're so pleasant," so I razz him a little. He describes his foray into vegetarianism. "What?" I asked, "I didn't know you could be a Republican AND a vegetarian."

"Oh yeah," he replied. "I bought a vegetarian cookbook, but my wife wouldn't use it."

"So....you didn't do the cooking. You bought the cookbook for her."

"Well, yeah. I buy the groceries. She cooks for me."

It was definitely time to go.