Thursday, October 11, 2012

the conference

I went to Albuquerque to present my Reiki research to a gathering of integrative oncologists.

That part was great. I talked to lots of people who at least assumed an interest. There was the friendly Chinese doc from Dana-Farber, the federal regulator, the handsome Czech doc from Indianapolis, and lots of others. I could talk about Reiki and my Reiki research for hours.

I went to workshops too. I went to all that I could manage. Sometimes my brain was too full and I had to take a break beside the pool. Breathe some fresh air.

There were lots of oral presentations of research, many involving slides of dissected mice. One presenter urged us to sing, "You Are My Sunshine." Several bravely attempted to address us in English; I applauded their pluck.

The best speech was the mushroom guy, Paul Stamets. The best panel presentation was the one by the host, UNM. University of New Mexico. They talked about their multicultural classes. The panel was really good, interesting. They called on a colleague to say more. She spoke pragmatically, important truths. I felt compelled to find and speak with her.

I encountered Tonita in the vendor hall and stumblingly praised her speech and described my work. She said I should talk with her colleague, Paula, pronounced, "Paola," or "Pa ooou la."