Sunday, September 2, 2012

fall

Outside I can see my breath. I smell woodsmoke. Someone has a cheery fire going. The dark sky is full of stars, planets, and one blinking airplane. I sit on the deck as Fluffy snuffles around the back yard. She's going to be awhile, so I step back inside.

Change in the weather. I unplug the air conditioners. I think about switching from dehumidifiers, fans, and air conditioners to heat. I check the oil tank, 3/4 full. I remind myself of the process for filling the tank - - and the cost: potentially $1200.

I go back out to check on Fluff. I'm wearing a wool sweater over my nightgown, and socks. Haven't worn socks and sweaters for 3 months, so they feel strange, but warm and comforting. Winter in Maine is six months long: summer exquisitely short. Fluff comes huffing up the steps. I take one more breath of the cold woodsmoke and head inside.