Saturday, August 18, 2012

the pond

Reminds me of skiing: end of season the skiers departed, tho conditions were still great.

I go to the pond at the end of the day, at the end of the season. I have the beach to myself. Way down there, a big family. They laugh and splash. He steals a towel, she runs after him: laughing and slapping. He could be 14,  her prob 10. They all take turns with several kayaks. Over on the other side of me a couple of teen girls in bikinis, and way over a grandfather and small boy, in front of the lifeguard stand.

Seagulls on either side of me. Lots of them. White ones, spotted browns. They preen, drink, and swim; but mostly they stand and look around. Sometimes they squawk and flap.

I see loons, black heads and graceful necks. They float, dive, bob, and pop.

I like the arc of the beach, the line of dark pines, the blue sky and clean water. I like to look at shapes in the clouds. I read a Hawaiian murder mystery. I get hot and wade into the water. I dive in, like a loon. The water is cold and clear.

Conditions are great.