Friday, June 1, 2012

the deck

I love my deck. Sitting here on the deck I can see the colors and textures of the garden: freshly mowed green grass, perennials in every shade of green, pink rhododendron blooms, orangey reddish leaves of the Japanese maples, yellow pansies and mums, purple petunias, fuchsia Persian flowers, and white bleeding heart.

I can hear the boy next door. He jumps on a trampoline and ululates. Perhaps he is autistic. I like to listen to his vocalizations. I'm glad he has his trampoline.

I feel the breeze. It feels good, as I just finished mowing. I like to mow. I have a push mower, not gasoline. I found a dead baby bird on the lawn. Picked it up and dropped it gently into a hole in the compost pile. Goodbye baby bird. Looks like it fell out of the nest. Just the suggestion of feathers. Evolved dinosaur.

I smell grass. Fresh damp air.

It was good to mow after sitting at a desk all week. It was good to be outside in the sun, as rain is predicted for the next several days. The breeze is cool. The sky is white, light blue at the horizon. Happy weekend, everyone.