Friday, May 11, 2012

dandelions

My boss asked for volunteers. I volunteered.

"The flower bed outside looks terrible. Who volunteers to clean it up and plant some flowers?"

So today I went out with my favorite weed-digging tool. I noticed a man with a weed whacker, trimming the grass along the side of the building. I started to dig dandelions out of the flower bed. I put them into a plastic bag, intending to toss them in the trash. The dandelions were big and the bag was filling up fast.

The man came over. He looked at the dandelions in the bag.

"Are you going to eat those?" he asked me.

"No," I replied.

"Are you going to make wine?" he asked.

"No."

"Well what are you doing?"

Did he think I was some random person off the street, harvesting dandelions? I looked up at him. "I work here. I'm weeding this flower bed. We're going to plant flowers."

"Oh. I was going to tell you not to eat them. They sprayed this lawn two weeks ago. You shouldn't eat them."

"I won't," I promised.