Wednesday, March 21, 2012

summer in March

Ice storms, blizzards, power outages, snow on the 4th of July.... I've lived through a lot of weather here in Maine. But this week is the most freakish weather spell I've ever experienced here.

It's March in Maine. There should be 2 feet of snow on the ground, wind, slush, and ice. There could be a day or two of sun and 50 degrees and we would all exclaim about the gorgeous weather.

This week it's been sun and temps in the 70s and even 80s. It's like summer. I've seen flies, bees, and mosquitos. My flowers are blooming: crocuses, daffodils, and pansies. I raked out my garden yesterday and planted kale, spinach, and peas. I waded into a pond yesterday.

I taught an energy workshop this evening, just got home. I drove past the pharmacy at nearly 8 pm, and the temp flashed on the sign: 73 degrees. I'm sitting on my deck in the starlight, wearing just a T-shirt and yoga pants. It's humid; it feels like July.

Sure it feels nice, but it's kind of scary, right? March in Maine is usually winter, but right now it feels like summer. Very strange weather we're having.