Friday, March 9, 2012

cars are expensive

Yes, they are. Cost me $60 to fill the gas tank this week.

And then my speedometer did the weird thing it does. It goes all the way around to the other side of zero and gets stuck. It's done this odd thing twice before. Both times I took it to a Dodge dealer and got it fixed. This is how they fixed it. A guy came out with a handheld device, punched some buttons, and it was fixed. It took about one minute. They charged me about $20.

This time was different. I live in the city now, so I went to the Dodge dealer here in the city. I described the problem and the usual fix.

"That's going to be ninety-nine, ninety five," he said.

"Dollars?" I gasped.

"Yes."

"They usually charge me $20," I replied.

"Who does?" he inquired.

"The dealer in Farmington. But I live here now"

"Let me see what I can do." He hopped off his stool and sped into the back. He was a lot shorter off the stool, just over 5 feet tall. I stood there waiting. He came back. "We can do it for $45," he said proudly.

"But they do it for $20 in Farmington," I wailed.

"Maybe you'd better take it back to Farmington," he said firmly.

"I guess I will. But thank you! Thank you for getting me a better price!" I smiled and departed.

Today I took it to the dealer in Farmington. I parked, went inside and described the problem. I didn't mention the city dealer. A guy went out with a handheld device and punched some buttons. It was fixed. It took about a minute. They charged me $20.94.