Monday, June 6, 2011

perfect summer evening

It's a summer evening in Maine. Low humidity, temp around 80, and a slight cool breeze. I hear a lawnmower, kids playing basketball, and lots of birds. The fuchsia crabapple and fragrant lilacs have gone by, but the rhododendron is blooming: lavish purply lavender flowers. Pansies and petunias are blooming too, lilies of the valley, and some small pink flower standing tall over wide pentacle leaves, or perhaps sextuple leaves... hard to see from my comfy deck chair.

The mesclun is growing like crazy. I've gone around and picked it all twice and there's lots more ready to be harvested. I can't keep up with it. I had a big salad tonight, with good vinegar, cashews, and salmon. I took 5 bags to work last week and have more to take tomorrow. I've given some to the neighbors. I'm about ready to put it out on the street: "Free, take me home!" Note to self: plant less mesclun next year.

Meanwhile someone is eating my pumpkin shoots. I planted 2 whole packages of seed and have 2 plants. As soon as the shoots opened up, someone ate off the tops. Same thing with the zucchini. Who? My backyard is fenced in. Squirrels?

So it's summer in Maine. What could be better than that?