Monday, September 6, 2010

the beach













Labor Day, 2010. My choices: home improvement, prep for school, or the beach.

Facebook poll was unanimous: the beach. So off I went to my favorite local beach: 20 minutes door to door. You never know. Sometimes it's relatively deserted, sprinkled with aging adults reading books. Sometimes it's loaded with exceptionally fit kayakers. Sometimes is plagued with screaming kids and their shrieking parents. Yeah, today: screaming & shrieking. Also a pungent smell of manure, too many clouds, and a cold wind. Well, on the bright side, there weren't many people there.

I sat and finished my book, Travels in a Thin Country, by Sara Wheeler. I soaked up Vit D. I moved away from the worst of the shrieking. I watched sea gulls and rippled waves. I looked at the clouds. Funny, Sara Wheeler ended her travels thru Chile on Labor Day. Happy Labor Day 2010, everyone.