Wednesday, July 14, 2010

how's the mowing going?














What is it about mowing the lawn? I really like to mow. Perhaps it's the sense of accomplishment. I like how you can see where you've been and where you're going. I like the concrete objectivity: you know you mowed.

I recently purchased a self-propelled push mower. You know, the non-gasoline type. It has a different sound. It requires human energy. Pine cones bring it to a halt. Neighbors guffaw.

I like the gas ones too; they keep the bugs at bay. And I like the smell of gasoline. But the whole purchasing and transporting of gas puts me off. Also the question of mixing with oil, so purchasing oil too. So complicated.

Is it the sweat, toned biceps, and cardio? Hmm.

Does mowing put me into a meditative state? Yeah, probably. And I think that's it. Mowing = meditation. Very Zen, very good.